Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Tree Frog Surprise

Tree Frog Surprise, Amherst, NH, June 2006, HP Photosmart R817, Exposure 1/430 sec @ f5.6 ISO 60, no flash © Steven Crisp

My friend says "hi". He's a local gray tree frog around our house (he can change colors from green to gray -- I saw another on granite, and he was perfectly camouflaged). I found this friend the other day, as I was reclining in a lounge chair. Right by my head! Scared the bejeezus out of me, but he didn't mind.

Then after a few photos, he scooched himself back under the lounge chair pillow. Needless to say, I always check to see if my friend is around nowadays before I take a seat. (In reality, this is a pretty rare visit, since they are nocturnal, and live in trees during the day. He's probably down for some mating.) As you can see below, I think he's a little camera shy, but he happily sings his songs at night, with a bunch of his buddies -- a cappella.

Nature sure has some interesting critters.

Camera shy, Amherst, NH, June 2006, HP Photosmart R817, Exposure 1/180 sec @ f2.8 ISO 100, no flash © Steven Crisp

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you get him to smile for you? What a sweet, happy looking creature!

Steven Crisp said...

Well, marroniah, I could say I just smiled at him, and he smiled back ;-) But in actuallity, when I took this picture I asked him to say "cheese". Can't you tell that's what he is saying? ;-)

Thanks for the visit and comment.

S-

H0n3yb33 said...

Great pics! They brought a huge smile to my face! I could just imagine your surprise. How high did you jump? 8)

Steven Crisp said...

Honeybee, I was really wondering where he came from. Did he crawl out from under my head, or jump up on the lounge chair. It was quite a surprise! Glad I could offer the smile.