Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Reflection in the grass

Reflection in the grass, Humayun's Tomb, Delhi, India, August 2006, HP Photosmart R817, Exposure 1/360 sec @ f3.2, ISO 100, no flash © Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

I'm traveling to India on business at the moment. After more than 24 hours flying, we arrived at our hotel in Delhi at 2:00 AM. Therefore, yesterday was considered a "rest day". But why rest, when you can get out and see a few sights.

The reflection shown here is of Humayun's Tomb to honor the eldest son of Babur, who succeeded his father and became the second emperor of the Mughal Empire. The tomb was built from 1562-1572. It is the first significant example of Islamic Mughal architecture with high arches and double dome. It is also considered the first example of the garden-tomb, which culminated in the world famous Taj Mahal (which I hope to see later in the trip).

I found this photo interesting, as they were working on the garden ponds, and therefore had to pump out the water onto the surrounding lawns. So from this waste, comes this art. To me it looks like a painting, and I can almost see the brush strokes and texture of the oil paint on the canvas. Take a look below, and see what you think.

6 comments:

pilgrimchick said...

Nicely done, and it gives excellent perspective as well. The architecture of India, I think, is vastly underrated and understudied because it is truly a great achievement and--generally, but I can only attribute this to my opinion--absolutely beautiful.

Steven Crisp said...

slskenyon,

I'm just getting the faintest whiff of India, but I'll savor the smells for as long as I can. Thanks for the visit and the comment.

Anonymous said...

What an EXCELLENT picture!! Simply awesome.

Steven Crisp said...

Thanks Hitori -- I always take a second look at a reflection. Glad you liked it too.

H0n3yb33 said...

I am so glad to have been shown your page...you can see the beauty all around you and you share it with us...wonderful! Great picture, look forward to seeing more. 8)

Steven Crisp said...

Thanks honeybee. It's easy to see the beauty at places like the world heritage sites; the challenge, of course, is to see it in the begging children or those living on the side of the road under tarps. Interesting to see how one reacts to that situation. Thanks for the comment.