Friday, February 16, 2007

Steamin'

Steamin', Washington, DC, February 2007, Nikon D40 with 18-200mm VR lens, Focal length 80mm, Exposure 1/200 sec @ f5.3, ISO 200, exposure bias -2/3 stop, no flash © Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

OK, so here's the story. I have a new camera, right? So it seemed logical that I would take it down to Washington, DC for my work trip. Maybe I could get into the city at night and take some cool photos.

While traveling between meetings, I see this steam rising from out on a public road, and thought it looked rather cool (or hot ;-) So I walked over and started taking pictures. Then all of a sudden I hear "Hey you, with the camera!" Uh oh.

Turns out security people really don't like you taking pictures (even in public streets) within eye shot of the Pentagon. Fortunately, I was able to show what I photographed (ah, the joys of a digital camera), and even offered to erase the memory card, but was given the "all clear" when he could see they were just close-up pictures of the steam.

I guess I'll leave the camera in the bag next time. Rest assured your security folks remain vigilent.

No comments: