Monday, December 12, 2005

Red and Purple Sunset

Red and Purple Sunset, Rockport, MA, August 2003, Pentax Optio 555, Exposure 1/160 sec @ f4.6, ISO 160, no flash © Steven Crisp

Consider the wisdom in these words from a Native American:

"Oh Great Spirit, whose voice I hear in the winds, and whose breath gives life to all the world, hear me. I come before You, one of Your children, I am small and weak. I need Your strength and wisdom. Let me walk in beauty and make my eyes ever behold the red and purple sunset. Make my hands respect the things You have made, my ears sharp to hear Your voice. Make me wise, so that I may know the things You have taught my people, the lesson You have hidden in every leaf and rock. I seek strength not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself. Make me ever ready to come to You, with clean hands and straight eyes, so when life fades as a fading sunset, my spirit may come to You without shame."

Yellow Hawk, Sioux Chief

2 comments:

ron griffin said...

This prayer saved my life. It came just when it was supposed to for me in the early stsges of recovery from drug addiction. Thanks Great Spirit.

Steven Crisp said...

Hi Ron,

It is a great prayer, and always wonderful to see how it can affect real lives during real struggles.

Thanks for the visit, and I hope you find something else meaningful or inspirational buried somewhere in these pages.

Namaste.