Tuesday, December 27, 2005

Eye to eye

Eye to eye, Elephant camp, Anantara resort, Chian Saen, Thailand, November 2005, Pentax Optio 555, Exposure 1/400 sec @ f4.4, ISO 64, no flash © Steven Crisp

These are magnificent creatures. And you can definitely see their intelligence and their personality, by watching their eyes. Their skin was not at all as I expected -- much softer, but interspersed with random hairs everywhere. Elephants have about the same lifespan as humans; this one is about 65 years old, if I remember correctly. The elephants in this camp have been trained to understand about 40 words -- commands for movement, getting up, sitting down, even blowing water out of their trunk. It was great fun to work with them. I will report more on my experiences in a few days on my Just Un-Do It blog.

No comments: