Sunday, July 16, 2006

Rippling mountain tops

Rippling Mountain Tops, Looking down from Mt. Fuji, Japan, July 2006, Pentax Optio 555, Exposure 1/640 sec @ f5.64, ISO 64, no flash © Steven Crisp

Well I just finished my second climb of Mt. Fuji. Had a very enjoyable time, and will write about it in more detail in my Hiking and Seeking blog. Perhaps you've heard what they say: "Everyone should climb Mt. Fuji once, but only a fool would climb it twice". Well, you know what that makes me.

I guess one interesting aspect of climbing Mt. Fuji is the challenge to both mind and body. While not technically challenging at all, it is something of an endurance contest (14-hours over 9,000 vertical feet up to the summit at 12,388 ft), and if you throw in a 50 mph soaking rain, as you are trapped in a human traffic jam waiting to reach the summit, in the middle of the night, it can test your mental endurance as well.

But on this hike, in spite of one period of bad weather, we had an enjoyable time, and saw some nice scenery, like this photo during the decent. When the rain had cleared, you could see all of the mountains around Mt. Fuji poking their summits through a sea of receding clouds. I wonder what they call someone that wants to climb it a third time?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow....you have AWESOME pictures here!!

Keep 'em coming. :)

Steven Crisp said...

Hitori, thanks much for the visit and kind words. You help motivate me to "keep 'em coming". I hope I can live up to your first impression ;-)