Thursday, September 17, 2020

Do You Know What Day It Is?

 

It's World Manta Ray Day!

Well, as my daughter Alli informed me, today is World Manta Ray Day.  You can click on that picture to be taken to the Instagram page if so desired.

I thought you might also be interested to hear (and see) why that is noteworthy for us.

We recently completed a project to tile our lanai.  As we were picking out the tile, and thinking of the large area that would be tiled, we thought the addition of some sea life would be a cool addition. 

Back in 2015, when we tiled the inside of our foyer, we found an artist who made sea turtle mosaics, and we bought a set and had our tile installers set them into the tile.  Quite an intricate job cutting the tile to fit all the turtle flippers.  He did the whole job with an angle grinder, and it was perfect.

So, we reached out to that artist again, and based on a suggestion by my wife, and some research by my daughter and me, asked if he wanted to create a manta ray for our lanai.  Well, he thought that would be "epic".  So after two months of design, material selection, mock-ups and feedback, we agreed on the final design and had our same tile installer set it into the new tile for our lanai.

Here's a picture of the end result, with my wife sitting in the hammock over the manta ray:  

Lounging over the Manta Ray

Well I'd say she is a real beauty!  And I think the Manta Ray turned out pretty nice too! 😂

No comments: