Saturday, December 05, 2020

On Fearlessness

 

Trick or Treat?, Lanikai, HI, October 2020, iPhone 11 Pro © Steven Crisp


On Fearlessness


You, my friend, are fearless

And if you think otherwise, please,

Please, know that you can be fearless, 

Just as you are, right now


How so?  Simply this:  Understand that fear

Only exists in the past or the future

You know that from your own experience

Don’t believe me?  Please think, my friend


Think back to a time when you were

Exposed to grave physical danger

Do you remember how, it seemed,

That time, itself, slowed down?


That was you, living fully in the present moment

Remember?  There was no danger or fear; only

Whatever action was needed in the moment

This is the power of being fully present


And so, my friend, please free your mind 

From its shackles of the past and the future

Abide in the timeless, eternal Now, and know

This is where Peace and Love reside


Go there often, my friend, 

Return again and again,

Be that which is your true nature 

And become fearlessness itself


2 comments:

Pat said...

How good to see your voice! Yes, time does stretch out and slow down in times of danger. I remember a moment when a car pulled directly in front of me when there seemed to be no way of avoiding a serious collision. And yet. I made a decision that would lesson the impact, steeled myself, waited, felt relief when a certain moment had passed and the collision had not yet occurred, and then the moment of danger had passed. It felt like several minutes, but must have been only seconds. Even today I'm amazed at how I was able to think through things so rationally in what had to have been a split second.
Thank you for your reminder words.

Steven Crisp said...

Hi Pat,

I can't fully explain where I'm at or where I'm going at the moment, but I like it. I'm feeling in inexorable pull is the direction of something ... it could be "God", it could be the underlying reality of the universe, or it could be indigestion ;-)

My voice, as it were, remains trapped in my throat. Trying to wrap form words around vague notions and fleeting glimpses. Oh, how I just want to be taken fully, and become simply the scribe. This grasping for the words is too much work. Having felt it before makes it all the more frustrating. But like that small pebble in one's shoe, at the very least, it gets one's attention!

And in the end, I guess that's enough. Attention ... so simple, and yet so easily given away to frivolous matters. So easily placed on autopilot, which just doesn't do justice to this precious life.

I'm really good at paying the bills. But that's not what I want to be good at 😳

Ah well, at least I am currently awake. Alas, so many of our brothers and and sisters do not realize they are slumbering. Why are we wired this way? Or maybe the better question is why have we let our world become this very attractive nuisance? We are wasting so much time -- so much of our precious life?

Ah well, more grist for the mill which I shall enter on the cushion or my walks, I guess.

Thanks, as always, for the visit, for your words, and for your illumined insight
!