Sunday, February 11, 2007

Swan contrast

Swan contrast, Hyde Park, London, England, February 2003, Sony Cybershot, Exposure 1/320 sec @ f8.0, ISO 100, no flash © Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

While I await to gather up some new photos with my new camera, I thought I'd reach back into my archives and see what those little point and shoots could deliver. Here's one I like (with a little post processing to dial up the contrast).

Will there be many differences? You bet. This picture is only a megapixel. It wouldn't blow up very well. And frankly the digital noise would become quite bothersome on anything over ISO 100.

If I recall correctly, this state-of-the-practice point and shoot cost almost as much as my new Nikon D40 dSLR. Gotta love that kind of progress. It is truly amazing how far they've come with digital technology in four short years. And of course, the tools will continue to improve.

But don't wait around -- because in the meantime -- both "art" and memories are waiting to be made.

No comments: