Saturday, February 24, 2007

Texture - connections

Connections, Kew Gardens, London, England, September 2006, HP Photosmart R817, Exposure 1/50 sec @ f2.6, ISO 200, no flash © Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

Have you ever noticed that everything is connected? Oh sure, we say that "metaphorically", but just as this plant illustrates, that is actually how we are created. Take a look.

I see roadways -- multilaned interstate highways, connecting to busy communting arteries, fed by county, and city, and township roads. You've seen that, right?

Or connections via the information superhighway, with hyperlinks, leading from heavily trafficed web-sites to rarely visited or specialized blogs.

Or waterways -- small rivulets feeding brooks and stream, ultimately flowing into mighty rivers and commerce waterways.

And also in ways we cannot "see". Like quiet voices and resolute opinions influencing groups of people to take action. Or actions take over here, that through some unseen, multi-step process, eventually have impacts and consequences way over here -- never even imagined.

You see, connections represent one of the greatest textures of our life. And to remember that they are both seen and unseen, and are ever present, gives us something to always keep in mind. You really are connected to it all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr.Crisp,
I really liked this week's theme of texture.I took a couple of photos of the papaya tree in my backyard and everyone told me that they never notices the texture and colours of the yellowing leaves.
Thank you for helping me see the beauty in these things!

Steven Crisp said...

Hmmm, Blogger seems to have eaten my previous comment reply. Bad Blogger ;-)

I'm glad the theme of textures is reasonating with you. And of course, I am humbled if any of these photos or words help you see beauty. For me, the intention to take the photos and makes these posts helps me to see beauty everywhere.

It is a wonderful way to view the world around us.