Monday, January 24, 2011

Day 25: Turning your world upside-down


Dew Drop Reflections, Amherst, NH, October 2007,
Canon PowerShot SD870 IS, focal length 4.6mm, Exposure 1/60 sec @ f2.8, ISO 100, no flash, 
 © Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

There's another thing I learned with my health recently.  Listen to your body.

I knew I was fighting something (dull headache, some lethargy), but rather than listening, I increased my exercise, which meant getting up earlier and losing out on sleep.  A couple of days last week I could barely keep my eyes open, and the fatigue was palpable.

I should have listened and perhaps even take off a day from work to just sleep.  It might have saved me from developing bronchitis (which is what the doctor diagnosed).  Indeed, I slept most of the day yesterday, and felt significantly better before I even visited the doctor.

So if you don't want to turn your own world upside-down, then be still enough to listen to your body.  It gives us many cues, if we but pay attention.  Your body needs to heal -- so sleep.  You have eaten enough food -- so don't bother to clean your plate.   You are getting dehydrated -- so drink more water.

The body is amazing.  I plan on listening more closely in the future.

  • Donation:  Gave some more clothes to Patch thrift shop
  • Exercise:  Walk with Carol and Frito (30 mins)

No comments: