Monday, January 03, 2011

Day 4: Follow your nose


Follow Your Nose, Böblingen, Germany, August 2010,
Panasonic DMC-ZS7, 35mm focal length equiv. 25mm, Exposure 1/30 sec @ f3.3, ISO 100, with flash
© Steven Crisp [Click on the photo to enlarge]

I have a habit of rising early in the morning, before anyone else is awake.  I like to spend some quiet time, by myself, reflecting and investigating.  Sometimes I just "follow my nose" and watch as my e-mail leads me to one web-site, and that to another, pursuing some thread of possible interest.

I will admit -- it can be a time waster.  But it can also take you places you would never have come across had you stayed within your typical patterns.  It's almost a multimedia "free association" process.  I'm sure Sigmund Freud could make lots of observations.

And to what end, this following of one's nose?  Well, like my buzzing buddy in the photo -- who knows?  Your nose never knows ;-)  You may just end up pollinating one friend or another with some of the ideas you learned about, and from that, who knows what flowers might blossom.

So follow your nose, and make some time for serendipity to happen.

  • Donation:  Alzheimer's Association
  • Exercise:  My first ever spin class (60 mins); boy, those guy (and gals) are certainly masochists ;-)

No comments: